fireball003

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
apc ups car battery

Hi,
I have a UPS whose battery is 12v, 7.2 AH sealed lead acid battery. The battery is damaged.

Now I want to replace that battery with lead acid car battery. So that I can add lights, fan, laptop charger etc instead of desktop computer. And I also expect it to support for more than an hour.

Now, is there any problem if I add that car battery (12v)?

Thanks in advance.

car battery ups

You can do it, but the problems I can see are: battery charger in the UPS is design for the 7.2AH capacity batteries not for higher capacity (so it will take tooooo much time to charge), second the inverter portion is not design for longer time, I mean heat sink, tracks or some wires may be, etc etc.

ENJOY!

apc replace car battery

I understand, thanks for you suggestion.

Well, charging part can be primarily ignored. But what about the heat sink or circuitry? Are you sure this will be a problem?

Say a UPS is supposed to backup for 15-20 minutes where as I expect it to backup at least for an hour. So, should I change anything?

Also my UPS was 650VA. How am I supposed to convert it into Watt ?

ups 12v car battery

Multiply a factor 0.7 (approx). i.e 650VA means a 455W.
If it is a branded UPS (like APC etc) than it may be a problem (you have to give it a try and see), because they normally test and garranty the unit accounding to the battery capacity used by them.
However I have even change a APC unit for longer operation, it worked fine (I only double its heatsink size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…