Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unix password command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidhin Krishna

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is it possible to provide password protection for linux folders without using zip command?
If yes, let me know the command.

Regards,
Nidhin

Hello,

I don't believe that there is anything in most standard packages (debian, fedora, ubuntu) that will do it, but check out the last post in this thread on the ubuntu forums:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=892381 It has a link to a google code project called 'cryptmanager' which apparently does what you want. I think it is in python, so it shouldn't be too insane to install (hopefully).

During Ubuntu installation you are asked if you want to encrypt your home folder (and therefore sub-folders in it as well) so it is possible. Exactly how to do it after installation I have no idea but Ubuntuforums will have someone there who can advise you I'm sure. You don't specify which Linux you are using but I'm fairly sure the encryption is available across all distros.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.