Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Universal input with toroidal transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

udhay_cit

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to replace my SMPS circuit with a toroidal transformer & linear power supply. My product specification is for universal AC input with my SMPS design. Now I'm replacing with 2 x 115V AC input toroidal transformer. For 110V or 220V selection, I'm using a slide switch as you can see from computer SMPS. Now my question is, Can I mention my product input as universal input?
For my previous SMPS design, its perfectly universal input supply without doing any change in hardware or setting. But if I replace the SMPS with toroidal transformer do we have to change anything in the product specification sheet?

Udhay

Hi,

I'd say you have to change the specification.

Afaik especially in the USA you have to take care about inrush current. This is very high with a toroidal transformer.

About "universal input". My opinion: the toroidal solution in not considered to be universal. Wrong setting may cause overcurrent, overheating, fuse blow....

Why do you want to change from SMPS to toroidal? Isn't this a step back?

Klaus

Klaus, I expected this question. SMPS is always superior in power supply interms of efficiency, weight, flexibility, repetability, etc., But I'm tired to design a SMPS which is compatible with CISPR11 standard. Our product enclosure is plastic & we can restrict the radiated emission noise upto CISPR 22 level. So I'm back to the toroidal transformer design. This design used maximum of 6W power. So I hope we may not take care for the inrush current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back