Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unexpected shutdown of desktop pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesXtremeEngineering

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently I am experiencing unexpected shutdown on my desktop pc. The system is 4-5 years old.
I want to know if the CPU shuts itself off to protect the processor from overheating.

Overheating of CPU. Check cooling paste or change it, check fan speed, check heatsink ribs clearance!!!

Bad power supply. Check fan of PSU, try other PSU or check current.

Bad motherboard. Check electrolitic capacitors near CPU or other parts.

Check windows on trojans/viruses.

Clear complete pc case and psu inside with compressed air 2-4bar from 20-30cm distance.

Is the power supply having trouble with overmuch cards or current-drawing peripherals?

Does mains power go off for a fraction of a second? You may or may not detect this, but it can shut down the computer if it can't hold up through the outage.

Is a shutdown preceded by a BSOD (blue screen of death) signifying a serious problem?

While it's running, can you open the Device Manager (accessible through the System control panel, as I recall)? Does it show a faulty device that might cause shutdowns?

For first step go to BIOS and see CPU temperature. Wait some time and monitor cpu temp, if pc shutdown this exlude windows and trojans/viruses.

This is as simplest first step test.

Overheating of CPU. Check cooling paste or change it, check fan speed, check heatsink ribs clearance!!!

Check windows on trojans/viruses.

Clear complete pc case and psu inside with compressed air 2-4bar from 20-30cm distance.

I think its not a problem with software. I uses different operating systems and this problem always occurs.

I want to know if the CPU turns itself off if the processor is overheating.
Since the computer is old the heat sink may have lost its effeciency which makes the processor overheat...is this possible.

Like I say earlier you can first check in BIOS cpu temperature.

Second open case and see heatsink ribs clearance.

Check speed of fan, also check fans of GPU and chipset.

I want to know if the system turns itself off if the processor is overheating.
Since the computer is old the heat sink may have lost its effeciency which makes the processor overheat...is this possible.

Last edited:

Although it would make sense to shut down everything if an essential part like the CPU overheats, I have not heard that being the universal response built into computers.

Perhaps the CPU will simply stop operating. Then all we might see is a hang, if the the video chips would continue displaying whatever is in screen memory, yet screen memory is no longer changing. It might or might not lead to a power-off. It depends on what safeguards the manufacturer built in.

See if you can set the BIOS so the computer will start up automatically after a BSOD or power outage. If the problem is due to the CPU being overheated, then it should soon repeat.

Computers should be opened and inspected about once every year, chiefly to clean away dust on hot components that need air to circulate around them. It's comparatively easy to open a desktop, as compared to a laptop.

There are even liquid-circulating cooling systems available to rescue hot CPU's. The overclocking crowd often must resort to these.

What is cooling paste, is it silicon grease.

I have opened the heat sink and cleaned it. I also took the processor chip to check and placed everything back. When i turn on the system doesn't starts up(nothing on monitor). The harddisc usage led and cd tray led keeps flashing.
Did i destroyed my chip.

No. Just check mounting heatsink. Did you put silicon grease? Remove memory modules all, and clean with toothbrush sockets and with fingers pins of memory modules, than take it back.

I suggest to clean all case with power supplz with compressed air.

Dont worry all is ok.

I need to buy some silicon grease.

Bad motherboard. Check electrolitic capacitors near CPU or other parts

Are you saying that if there is something wrong with a motherboard it will be with the electrolytic capacitors.

You must clean with fine paper old cooling grease from CPU and from heatsink, all must be shiny and clean, then put new grease on heatsink and on cpu, dont put much, just smear on all surface are on cpu and smear on heatsink area where cpu have contact.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Are you saying that if there is something wrong with a motherboard it will be with the electrolytic capacitors.

Easy, easy, we go one by one.

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

You can visual check capacitors on motherboard if they are leaking (capacitor plague).

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Dont panic, this can be solved.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

What is socket of cpu/motherboard ? Check that you good mount heatsink.

Its LGA775 socket. I ask you about socket, and hope that is not 775, but in this case you should pay attention when you turn back heatsink. If you dont mount heatsink properly cpu will overheat, pay attention on that.

socket_lga775_heatsink.jpg

I want to know if the system turns itself off if the processor is overheating.
Yes. Normally it's because the fan died or the heatsink fins are clogged up with dust/fluff.

I also took the processor chip to check and placed everything back. When i turn on the system doesn't starts up(nothing on monitor).
Did you put it back the right way around? I once put a CPU in the wrong way around (like a moron, but I prefer to blame bad eyesight). The system was totally dead, as you describe. Thankfully, when I put it back correctly, the system worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.