Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

uncomplete reset assignmet to reg, What happens in Synth???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arturi

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I have a piece of code that describes a 13-bit flip-flop being reset to a 10-bit pattern:

reg [`MSB20:0] reg20;

always @(posedge clk or negedge rstb_regs)
if (~rstb_regs)
reg20 <= 10'b00_1000_0000;
else

In simulation I see that bits 13:10 are reset to zero.

But what happens in synthesis??? Do the most significant register are synthesized to flops with asynchronous reset?? Or the tool chooses plain flops which have less area?? After all we are not specifying a reset value for these flops...

Thanks,

Arturi

13:10 are synthesized to DFF with reset and 9:0 are synthesized to DFF wothout reset.

Can we expect latches in here?

Probably, since they are outside the always block.

Re: uncomplete reset assignmet to reg, What happens in Synth

Arturi said:
Dear all,

I have a piece of code that describes a 13-bit flip-flop being reset to a 10-bit pattern:

reg [`MSB20:0] reg20;

always @(posedge clk or negedge rstb_regs)
if (~rstb_regs)
reg20 <= 10'b00_1000_0000;
else

In simulation I see that bits 13:10 are reset to zero.

But what happens in synthesis??? Do the most significant register are synthesized to flops with asynchronous reset?? Or the tool chooses plain flops which have less area?? After all we are not specifying a reset value for these flops...

Thanks,

Arturi

All FF's will have SET/RESET pin depend upon '1' or '0'. Since you say only 10'b... it will append zeros to MSB. So it will be reset for FF 12:10.

Arturi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back