Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uncertain what component used in the circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviro25

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microsim designlab download

hello... im a first year student .. i want to do a project of active power filter to filter the harmonics using current injection

ive found a circuit from internet to study .. but the problem is.. how should i implement it into PCB or into electronics component because i dont really know what component should i buy for the system. Ive emailed the author but none of reply i get.

I attach the picture of the circuit. Hope you guys can help explain it to me. Thanks..

Can you post the link where you found this?
There is supposed to be a list of materials used, or a bill of materials kind of a thing where you can find the exact specs of the component being used.

~seemanta

this is the link of the website I took the circuit. I browsed the website but I didnt find the list of the component. Only a file of the simulation from Microsim

**broken link removed**

thanks for ur reply

The shown circuit is a simulation model only. With some knowledge in power electronics, you can guess what may be the real circuit. But part of the function is hidden in a subblock. The simulation circuit isn't of much use without knowing the real circuit respectively system design.

aviro25

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
FvM said:
The shown circuit is a simulation model only. With some knowledge in power electronics, you can guess what may be the real circuit. But part of the function is hidden in a subblock. The simulation circuit isn't of much use without knowing the real circuit respectively system design.

there is 3 block that have sublock..in the file they given the sublock of harmonic calculator and rectifier load and thyristor load.

Question 1
Do you know what is H3 G3 and E1. Thanks for the information. So this circuit cant be implemented in hardware if dunno the function of power electronics right. Sorry.. Im just a new learner.

Question 2
Im interested in this arena actually and I want to know. Do you have a source or notes that I can learn to implement an active power filter in hardware.

I searched many journal in IEEE but they all seems doing the simulation and study the characteristics. I got EUT tester to test harmonics in my campus's EMC lab. Thats why I like to explore this arena and create a hardware so I can test with the tester machine.

Thanks In Advance :D

Why don't you download the attached Microsim Design lab 8.0 schematic files on that side?

**broken link removed**

... and try to open it...

ep20k

erm.. i have already downloaded the file. and export the file into orcad pspice format. All the simulation was OK. But as my topic subject. I want to know what is the component since i want to apply it onto hardware.

ooops...I didn't read carefully. I thought you had overseen that.

Sorry, I can't help you :cry:

ep20k

aviro25

The H, G and E are ideal controlled sources. You can find the definition in any SPICE textbook or manual. H and E can be regarded as measurement transducers, but G is a power current source, just an equivalent circuit and no real component. But again, the whole circuit is nothing that can't be build in hardware. You have to understand, how a real hardware circuit would operate and then you also understand what's simulated here.

I agree with FvM. What is shown as a simulation *may* not be realizable in practice. Especially the ideal H, G and E components.

I would suggest, try to search directly for an *implementation* of whatever you are trying to build.

~seemanta

aviro25

FVm or any members,

could you please help me to explain the flow of this circuit.. I seems cant understand it.. i mean start from the source.. what is actually happend.. the current flow

The circuit isn't clear to me in all details. I wonder, if you have any additional description related to the original publication, that could clarify some aspects. As I already mentioned, it's a simulation circuit. Part of it simulates the power circuit, another part the control. Some functions would need more exact definition, e. g. the "harmonic-calculator" part.

At the left are the grid supply voltage "Source" and two switchable test loads that apparently generate harmonics. These are blocks with an inner circuit that isn't shown here. But you can imagine from block names how the current waveform may look like. H3 is a current measurement.

Lf, Rloss, E1 are a equivalent circuit for the power circuit of the active power filter. For the single phase circuit shown here, E1 could be imagined as an IGBT full bridge with a DC bus and capacitors. Lf is a real inductor with resistance winding Rloss. I guess, the real active power filter would be a three-phase-circuit, but it's basic operation (for symmetric components) can be analyzed in a more simple single phase system. The remaining components are control circuits.

Part of the control circuit shouldn't been understood as a real schematic, it's an functional equivalent only. It may be realized e. g. in digital signal processing or in a probably different analog circuit. As an example see the G1, L2, R2, R3 circuit. It's a model of the voltage drop at Lf+Rloss caused by the injected harmonics current. G1 is the intended current, the resulting voltage at the model circuit is then added to the grid voltage as input to the IGBT bridge control.

The model circuit is the easiest way to generate this signal in the simulation, but it can't be used for a real system, cause the control circuit would never operate at that high current and voltage level. If it would use a similar analog circuit (probably not), voltage and current at least would be scaled.

A real system must use a PWM modulator between the +/- 380 limiter and E1, the simulation is time-continuous for easier circuit and faster calculation. This way some properties, e. g. switching interferences generated by the PWM are ignored.

The Vin1*Vin2/Vin3 analog function circuit measures the real power consumed by the power filter, the value is apparently held constant through a controller and a sine modulator. The sine reference voltage thus must have mains frequency, otherwise it couldn't sink power from the grid voltage.

G2 finally sources a harmonics model current that is injected through Lf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back