Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Ultra Low Power microcontroller selection ARM CortexM3/M4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

In 2010, I cam across EnergyMicro microcontrollers while searching for ultra low power controllers for my upcoming projects. Its been 10 years and experience was amazing with different variants of EFM controllers which now belongs to SiLabs.

Thanks for @bobsanjose, for the wonderful advise, it helped me a lot.

After the Covid situation, lead time for different microcontrollers supplies/manufactures is increased immensely. SiLab has discontinued many of it EFM32 variants and also availability is becoming less.

I am now looking for experienced people advise to change the microcontroller for my existing products. Options short listed are Cypress and TI. However they are not close to current consumption while comparing to EFM32. Also I want to discuss what factors to look technically when selecting the options to replace the existing microcontrollers. Any insight will be really appreciable.

Thanks
Dani

Before we start what do you need to do when power is super low, just
respond to a wakeup pin interrupt ? Or RTC or.....

Also do you want all clocks off internally ?

Maybe some target info for what you are seeking would help advisors.

Don't know if you have seen this - https://www.cypress.com/file/121271/download

Regards, Dana.

@danadakk,​

Periodic wakeups from deep sleep modes is required which seems to be an issue. Cypress only have 1 RTC in deep sleep while multiple timers may be required. Low energy UART is also a factor. Wakeups through interrupts is inevitable.
--- Updated ---

@danadakk

Is there a similar document for PSoC6 as well?
https://www.cypress.com/file/121271/download

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.