Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UL certification is for selling into USA and Canada only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Supposing we have a electronics product and we never wish to sell it into USA or Canada.

Would we then never want to look into UL certification?

Basically it is a safety certification and even if your stuff is not going to be sold in the US, it may add some value in terms of public confidence.

The belief system works like: if it is safe to use, it must be well made.

Most of the time in an organization, the purchase authority (he who can sign the final order) is not an engineer and his impression of the product is important. Not only your product must be good, it must appear so and public opinion matters.

I'd imagine that other developed markets
have some similar qualification entity / -ies
and you'd want to understand what applies
in your chosen markets.

Basically it is a safety certification and even if your stuff is not going to be sold in the US, it may add some value in terms of public confidence.
Thanks, though our products are for use on only 180-270VAC mains, and as you know, USA use 120VAC....so presumably it would not actually be possible for us to go through the UL testing process?

There are consumer products which use
220V / 240V (like major appliances, larger
room air conditioners, power tools) that I
believe will get UL review.

Thanks, and i imagine "UL review" is a lot less worthy than "UL certification"?

I presume you'll preferably care for CE und UKCA marking and the compliance tests necessary to make it. UL and CSA are referring to the same or equivalent technical standards for safety, EMC and power quality. But they set some additional requirements that you won't put up with for no reason.

Thanks, and i imagine "UL review" is a lot less worthy than "UL certification"?

I did not know that there is a process "UL review"; but certainly you have looked up their product certification page https://www.ul.com/services/certification/product-certification

In my understanding they do not care whether your product works or not but they do see that it is not going to kill someone!

My fitness band (it does fit on my wrist) is CE certified. I am pleased to know that it is not going to be dangerous for my health. But the security staff at the airport does not agree!!!

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back