Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

uhf VCO phase noise measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

alizadeharand

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a uhf VCO chip with differential output. how can i measure the phase noise of differential out put?

Most of cases phase noise is measured in dBc, so a simple balun placed at the differential output will help to do the measurement using a spectrum analyzer.

how much will the phase noise change using a balun ?
I mean how much is the difference between single ended and differential noise?

agree with that one, a balun will not add phase noise. A differential amp will add noise.

Just make sure the output power of the Balun is high enough to satisfy the measurement systems input power requirement for the noise floor you are trying to measure. If it is not too tight a spec., you could add an amplifier after the balun to boost up the power.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean how much is the difference between single ended and differential noise?

The balun will reject noise that is common to the two traces, just leaving the sum of the differential noise. I think it would be difficult to infer from the single ended output how much common mode noise may have been on the traces. However, as long as the LO is going to a differential device, it will also reject common mode noise, so from the system perspective the differential noise is probably most relevant.

I see that I have to underline my previous post.
Balun works better, and add less problems than any other topology when want to go from differential to single ended for Phase Noise measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back