Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Udoo or Wandboard or Parallela?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishaan Karnik

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I plan to buy a SBC and have difficulty choosing from the following.
I am going to use bare Linux kernel with Open GL ES 3.0, GNOME shell and device drivers for different peripheral. Non-HDMI (LVDS) LCD with preferably one with touch screen would be plus point.
Parallel Programming is also one of my goal.
Occasionally I am going to run Ubuntu.
My final short-list is :
  1. Udoo
  2. Wandboard
  3. Parallela
1. Udoo
Advantages :
i.MX6 Quad-Core Processor, Direct touch screen LCD available, Native support Open GL, Moderate cost, Arduino Due COMPATIBLE BOARD EMBEDDED, integrated Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
Disadvantages :
1 G.B. RAM only (don't know how much will it affect), no J-Link debug facility, No FPGA

2. Wandboard
Advantages :
i.MX6 Quad-Core Processor 2 G.B. RAM, Moderate cost , Native support Open GL, J-Link debug facility,
Wi-Fi or Bluetooth (but needs separate antenna)
Disadvantages :
No direct LCD available, need to purchase add-on board for same, No Arduino Due, No FPGA

3. Parallela
Advantages :
Zynq-7020 Dual-Core Processor, 64-Core Epiphany Multicore Accelerator, FPGA
Disadvantages :
No direct LCD available, No Arduino Due, Very High Cost, 1 G.B. RAM only (don't know how much will it affect), no J-Link debug facility, unknown Open GL capabilities, No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
Any thoughts????

My to do project list:
  1. Build linux kernel (with and without GUI)
  2. Digital Signal Processing algorithm
  3. Image Processing algorithms
  4. Parallel Processing (for DSP or DIP)
  5. SDR
  6. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth usage
  7. DIY Electronics projects
  8. Instrumentation (HMI and Control)

Hi,

What did you choose?

I'm looking for a SBC myself, but I want 2+ Gbe (it doesn't matter the interface - PCIe, USB3.0/etc), 1+ GB RAM and dual/quad/etc core at 1+ GHz...
Preferably to have an open CPU (such as Freescale) where you can find all the datasheets.

Thanks,

Hi,

What did you choose?

I'm looking for a SBC myself, but I want 2+ Gbe (it doesn't matter the interface - PCIe, USB3.0/etc), 1+ GB RAM and dual/quad/etc core at 1+ GHz...
Preferably to have an open CPU (such as Freescale) where you can find all the datasheets.

Thanks,

Sir I would suggest BeagleBoard-X-15. Its specs look very promising especially AM5728 processor. The board will come with 2 GB RAM, 4 GB flash, USB 3.0, 1 Gb Ethernet and the list continues but the real goody is AM5728 processor which contains Dual Core A-15 at 1.5GHz, Dual core ARM M-4 at 212MHz, Dual core C66x at 700 MHz and Dual Core PowerVR SGX544 GPU at 532 GHz. The reference manual/user guide for the processor is available on TI's web-site.
The board is yet to launch but will be worth the while to wait. I am dying to get my hands on one.
If you are desperate you can get **broken link removed**.
I even have/had access to Quad-Core Udoo via a friend. I am really impressed by its capabilities. Its Bang for the buck. I really like the approach where you can use SAM3X to handle real time task and iMX6 for handling application/OS (Linux).

Status
Not open for further replies.