Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishaan Karnik

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I plan to buy a SBC and have difficulty choosing from the following.
I am going to use bare Linux kernel with Open GL ES 3.0, GNOME shell and device drivers for different peripheral. Non-HDMI (LVDS) LCD with preferably one with touch screen would be plus point.
Parallel Programming is also one of my goal.
Occasionally I am going to run Ubuntu.
My final short-list is :
  1. Udoo
  2. Wandboard
  3. Parallela
1. Udoo
Advantages :
i.MX6 Quad-Core Processor, Direct touch screen LCD available, Native support Open GL, Moderate cost, Arduino Due COMPATIBLE BOARD EMBEDDED, integrated Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
Disadvantages :
1 G.B. RAM only (don't know how much will it affect), no J-Link debug facility, No FPGA

2. Wandboard
Advantages :
i.MX6 Quad-Core Processor 2 G.B. RAM, Moderate cost , Native support Open GL, J-Link debug facility,
Wi-Fi or Bluetooth (but needs separate antenna)
Disadvantages :
No direct LCD available, need to purchase add-on board for same, No Arduino Due, No FPGA

3. Parallela
Advantages :
Zynq-7020 Dual-Core Processor, 64-Core Epiphany Multicore Accelerator, FPGA
Disadvantages :
No direct LCD available, No Arduino Due, Very High Cost, 1 G.B. RAM only (don't know how much will it affect), no J-Link debug facility, unknown Open GL capabilities, No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
Any thoughts????

My to do project list:
  1. Build linux kernel (with and without GUI)
  2. Digital Signal Processing algorithm
  3. Image Processing algorithms
  4. Parallel Processing (for DSP or DIP)
  5. SDR
  6. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth usage
  7. DIY Electronics projects
  8. Instrumentation (HMI and Control)

Hi,

What did you choose?

I'm looking for a SBC myself, but I want 2+ Gbe (it doesn't matter the interface - PCIe, USB3.0/etc), 1+ GB RAM and dual/quad/etc core at 1+ GHz...
Preferably to have an open CPU (such as Freescale) where you can find all the datasheets.

Thanks,

Sir I would suggest BeagleBoard-X-15. Its specs look very promising especially AM5728 processor. The board will come with 2 GB RAM, 4 GB flash, USB 3.0, 1 Gb Ethernet and the list continues but the real goody is AM5728 processor which contains Dual Core A-15 at 1.5GHz, Dual core ARM M-4 at 212MHz, Dual core C66x at 700 MHz and Dual Core PowerVR SGX544 GPU at 532 GHz. The reference manual/user guide for the processor is available on TI's web-site.
The board is yet to launch but will be worth the while to wait. I am dying to get my hands on one.
If you are desperate you can get **broken link removed**.
I even have/had access to Quad-Core Udoo via a friend. I am really impressed by its capabilities. Its Bang for the buck. I really like the approach where you can use SAM3X to handle real time task and iMX6 for handling application/OS (Linux).

Status
Not open for further replies.