Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Type of probes required for HP1200B

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivekroy

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Folks,
I have come to seek your help. I found this really old HP1200B oscilloscope. It was literally free. I got it. I am looking for probes for it. It does not appear to be using the standard BNC or SMA connector. Here is a picture.

Can anyone tell me what type of connector is this?

Attachments

• 20201229_114428.jpg
    20201229_114428.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122

Screw terminals with 4 mm banana jack. Appropriate for 500 kHz bandwidth.
Notice that the inputs are differential, won't be supported by single ended oscilloscope probes. You are free though to connect coaxial cable through adapter.

Thanks FvM.

I did not follow the last line. Can you please explain it?

A side query, it looks like the terminals of the differential input can be turned off (connected to GND) from the schematics. Do you reckon I can use single ended probes by turning it off?

You see that the inputs are differential (+, - and GND)?

Yes, I do see that the inputs are differential. Please see the attached image and my reasoning behind using a single ended probe. It appears each of the terminals of the differential input can be turned off/ac coupled or dc coupled. Am I missing something obvious here?

Attachments

• B5E61B8A-C592-41F7-A7DE-11C0ACB4778E.jpeg
    B5E61B8A-C592-41F7-A7DE-11C0ACB4778E.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 131

I don't understand what your problem is. You can connect anything you want, including a single ended probe through a BNC-to-banana-plug adapter. If the screw terminal spacing is 19 mm, a standard adapter fits.

Here's a picture of the original HP 10111A shielded banana-to-BNC adapter mentioned in the manual. By having a flexible ground cable, you can connect to both inputs simultaneously. If you want something of this kind, you can do it yourself.

1609325418480.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back