Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two toolchains in one computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBdgWgt

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am doing a project of embedded linux. I am new with this thing.
I am confused about something. I use OpenSuse 10.1 on my Toshiba Laptop. It is already equiped with gcc v.4.10, binutils 2.16.91, and glibc-2.4

so i read some references about building this embedded linux system. They are using different Toolchains (different version of gcc, binutils, and some of them use uclibc instead of glibc as the C library)

so can i use 2 GNU toolchains in my laptop? i want to work first with the version written in the books. if it is possible, is there any reference? or someone can writ e the major steps?

big thanks for the help!

How does your build system (like make) identify your toolchain? In my case, I just add the path to my toolchain directory to PATH environment variable. So when I need to use another toolchain, I just change PATH.

Yes you can have two different tool chains installed on your machine.

1. When you build the new toolchain use --prefix paramter of the configure script to install new toolchain in user defined folders instead of default folders.

2. Create a bash file or profile to set the environment variables like PATH, LIB_LD_PATH etc to point to alternate tool chain.

3. You can use which command to verify what toolchain is in path e.g. "which gcc".

yes, finally i understand it. i used to crosstool from dan kegel, and it is a very nice tool indeed. it will make a new toolchain with "i686-unknown-gnu-linux-" prefix, so i dont have to change the PATH, but just add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.