Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two STK amps on one system

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielKaaos

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all!

I have Sony RXD system and two STKs. One is STK407-090E and the other one is STK407-100. On both STKs the right channels are blown up. Can I (theoretically) connect the two amps in stereo mode?

Thank you!

If they work okay otherwise then you can have stereo by putting one channel through each unit, yes.

Make sure you minimize volume through the blown channel. There's a chance the output stage was not designed to be operated without a load. This assumes you leave it with no speaker attached.

Hi,

I'd say a defective audio amp channel may act rather random.
Low current, high current, overheating, oscillating....

Thus I'd not use the defective STKs.

Klaus

If they work okay otherwise then you can have stereo by putting one channel through each unit, yes.

Make sure you minimize volume through the blown channel. There's a chance the output stage was not designed to be operated without a load. This assumes you leave it with no speaker attached.

They both work Okay separately on the Sony system when I disconnect output of bad channel from the STK, otherwise POWER PROTECT appears on the display.

Thank you!

otherwise POWER PROTECT appears on the display.

Is this an alert telling it must shut off circuitry to reduce overmuch current in the output stage?
A speaker can be destroyed by one burst of high current AC or DC. A speaker can be destroyed by ultrasonic oscillations which we can't hear.

It's starting to look as though it's not worth the risk to use the faulty STK's. An internet search reveals they are IC's which cost only $5.

Is this an alert telling it must shut off circuitry to reduce overmuch current in the output stage?
A speaker can be destroyed by one burst of high current AC or DC. A speaker can be destroyed by ultrasonic oscillations which we can't hear.

It's starting to look as though it's not worth the risk to use the faulty STK's. An internet search reveals they are IC's which cost only $5.

Yes, that's what this message means. There is relay that shuts off the path to speakers when this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.