Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two stage amplifier question

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmdrdo

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Just want to ask what is the purpose of the capacitor C4 acrross the 5k potentionmeter on the second stage? Thanks.

Floyd_chap6.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

R9 and R10 set the DC operating point.

With the adjustment of R10 combined with C4 you control the AC gain.

Klaus

Hi,

R9 and R10 set the DC operating point.

With the adjustment of R10 combined with C4 you control the AC gain.

Klaus

Hello sir Klaus!

Yes sir I read in my book that it controls the gain and together they are called volume control. But I want to know how the capacitor C4 works physically in that circuit. I Know a capacitor is considered shorted in a.c at the oprating freq and I already know a capacitor is considered open in d.c and it is also used as a filter, but with all these knowledge I still cant figure out the particular work that C4 does in the circuit. Please help me understand it. Thanks.

Hi,

just from the AC view: Consider the capacitor as zero impedance.

If the pot R10 is adjusted to the bottom then the emiter AC impedance is 130 Ohm + 5000 Ohm = 5130 Ohm. --> Low gain
If the pot R10 is adjusted to half value then the emiter AC impedance is 130 Ohm + 2500 Ohm = 2630 Ohm. --> Medium gain
If the pot R10 is adjusted to the top then the emiter AC impedance is 130 Ohm --> High gain

The higher the emitter impedance the lower the gain.

Klaus

The keyword is "NEGATIVE FEEDBACK".
Negative feedback alwqays reduces the gain and - at the same time - improves linearity and reduces the influence of tolerance uncertainties.
For stabilizing the DC operating point (against tolerances and temperature) we always use an emitter resitance - however, because of the (perhaps unwanted) gain reduction we place a capacitor across this resistor (or a part of this resistor), thus cancelling (resp. reducing) the feedback for frequencies above the corresponding cut-off frequency.

Hi,

just from the AC view: Consider the capacitor as zero impedance.

If the pot R10 is adjusted to the bottom then the emiter AC impedance is 130 Ohm + 5000 Ohm = 5130 Ohm. --> Low gain
If the pot R10 is adjusted to half value then the emiter AC impedance is 130 Ohm + 2500 Ohm = 2630 Ohm. --> Medium gain
If the pot R10 is adjusted to the top then the emiter AC impedance is 130 Ohm --> High gain

The higher the emitter impedance the lower the gain.

Klaus

Will it work the same way when we remove C4?

Hi,

if you remove C4 then the center tap of R10 is unconnected. --> impossible to adjust anything with R10.

Klaus

Hi,

if you remove C4 then the center tap of R10 is unconnected. --> impossible to adjust anything with R10.

Klaus

Hello,

What I mean by removing c4 is to connect the center tap directly to tail of 5k pot.

Hi,

What I mean by removing c4 is to connect the center tap directly to tail of 5k pot.

As you recognized before: C4 is high impedance for DC.
If you now short C4 the path is low impedance for DC. So a change of R10 changes the DC operation point.

Klaus

Hi,

As you recognized before: C4 is high impedance for DC.
If you now short C4 the path is low impedance for DC. So a change of R10 changes the DC operation point.

Klaus

So in conclusion, C4 is placed tbere to control the impedance since by the a.c signal, but not the resistance seen by d.c so that when the pot is adjusted the d.c operating point is not affected. Am I correct?

Hi,

Yes. Capacitor is "invisible" for DC.

Klaus

So in conclusion, C4 is placed tbere to control the impedance since by the a.c signal, but not the resistance seen by d.c so that when the pot is adjusted the d.c operating point is not affected. Am I correct?

Did you read the explanations in my post#5 ?

Can you tell me what are the feedback path's components since I do not see any?

Can you tell me what are the feedback path's components since I do not see any?

For each transistor it is the emitter path that provides negative feedback: A rising emitter current (due to temperature, for example) causes an increase in the emitter node voltage and reduces VBE. Reduction in VBE - in turn - causes again a reduction of the increased emitter current.

Reactions: CataM

CataM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.