Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TVS Diode and Flyback Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

strape81

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,

I have a serious overvoltage problem in a flyback converter and I need a piece of advice.

As attachments you can find the Drain-Source Voltage of the MOSFET IPB60R385CP during switch-off time with a snubber circuit (TVS diode : SM15T150CA) and without it.View attachment without snubber.bmpView attachment with snubber.bmpView attachment IPB60R385CP_rev2.0.pdfView attachment CD00000724.pdf

The power dissipated on the TVS Diode is calculated according to the following formula:

P_tvs = 0,5 x F_sw x L_leak x I_pk^2 x (V_z / (V_z-(V_out+V_f)/N) = 9,055W (Source: Christopher Basso- Switch Mode-Power Supplies, page 614)

with F_sw = 65kHz - switching frequency
L_leak = 23uH - leakage inductance of flyback transformer
I_pk = 2A - Peak current through mosfet
V_z = 150V - TVS breakdown voltage
V_out = 19V - Output voltage
V_f = 0,7V - Forward voltage of the secondary diode
N = 10/51 - turns ratio

Using this calculation and the junction-ambient thermal impedance of 90 °C/W I come up to a huge junction temperature of Tj=Ta+Rth(j-a) x P_tvs = 25°C + 90°C/W x 9,055W = 840°C.
I am sure there is a mistake in this calculation. Can somebody tell me how can I correctly compute this???

Also how can I decide which snubber circuit is the correct for a flyback converter? Which parameters are playing the most significant role??

Thanks a lot for your time!!!

Where did u get this calculation ?
and some thing i dont see in eqation is the pulse factor , u are using pulse and not plain dc and 90 ©deg /w is for dc.
check it out

Thanks dselec for your trigger-answer!

If I understood correctly, the correct way to compute the junction temperature is to compute the Z_th(j-a), right? This can be done by extrapolating for a pulse width of 300ns.

In this case, I have done the following calculation:

Pulse duration Zth(j-a)/Rth(j-a)
1ms 0,025
300ns x=7,5x10e-6

and I have calculated the Zth(j-a) = Rth(j-a)x7,5x10e-6

The junction temperature is computed then: Tj=P_inst x Zth(j-a) + Ta

Please could you verify if my thoughts are on the right way???

Thanks a lot!!!

Seems u got it right this time.
i have not enough experience in this matter but i know computing heat differs ac from dc.
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.