Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turn On Load On and off using mosfet with 4V

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshin joy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai,

Can Anyone please help me!!

I am designing a 4V lead acid battery charger using a PIC MCU.

the charger section is ok what my problem is

i have used a IRFZ44 MOSFET to turn the LED load on and off.

I want turn off the load when the battery is discharged to ~3V.

the circuit diagram is attached.

while i turn on the MOSFET i have a voltage drop of more than 1V. ie when battrey voltage 4V i get only 3V for my load even when it is unloaded.

what should i do to decease the drop voltage??

Please help!! :-(

Attachments

• ChargerImg.png
    ChargerImg.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 77

hi,
Using a Vgs of only 3 to 4 V will not fully turn on the FET, try a Vgs of 10v as per the datasheet.
E

Attachments

• A03.gif
    A03.gif
    46.7 KB · Views: 69

changing the mosfet to a power transistor like TIP122 or TIP127 will help me. if yes how can i bias it at this voltage. i cant add another power rail to the circuit.

These are darlington transistors with a voltage drop hardly below 1V. A suitable MOSFET is clearly the better solution. Unfortunately you didn't mention the switched load current, but there are many "logic level" MOSFETs that fully switch on with 2 or 2.5 V Vgs.

Sir,
My Load aproximate 3.7V LED Pannel with current of max or less than 5A. so if i select a Mosfet with 2.5V or 4.5V Vgs then i will be able turn on the MOSFET directly from my MCU. am i correct??. Can you suggest any MOSFET with 2.5V or 4.5V Vgs.

Thankyou

All major manufacturers have online selection tools or product tables that allow to search for suitable types. Vishay Si4838DY is e.g. a SO8 type good for up to 20A. Even tiny Si2312CDS in SOT23 can work up to 6A, but runs a bit hot.

The little Vishay Si4838DY Mosfet will heat with 0.1W max with a 5A load and a 2.5V Vgs because its max voltage drop will be only 0.02V.

Status
Not open for further replies.