Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turn on current requierment of IGBT /Mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipnirvana

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all,

i have doubt which i didn't had earlier :) . Any way for one of my application i need to design gate driver of IGBT IKW60N60H3 (data sheet attached) . Drain current is 30A, drain voltage is 400VAC. now we have requirement of turning on the IGBT in 50ns ..yes that fast. Now if i go by my old way of calculation which says that Gate charge /time is equal to gate current.

So in this case gate charge is 375nC and time is 50nS. So gate current required is 375/50= 7.5 A . Now confusion is there because of the graph in datasheet , i am referring to figure 10.in that at Rg=6 ohm , td(on)+tr = 50ns . So in effect there is huge difference of current requirement . that is through this graph only 2.5 A is sufficient to turn on the IGBT in 50nS. Please note that in my case Vg =0 --> 15V.

Please help to clear the cloud.

Attachments

• IKW60N60H3_1_2.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 113

The answer depends on what you consider as "turn-on" time. tr is 10 to 90% Ic risetime. After it's expiration, Vce is still high and only a part of the total gate charge has been transfered.

Try FAN3122, MCP1407

Status
Not open for further replies.