Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Tunnel diodes use and spice model

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB_1

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
have anyone ever dealt with tunnel diodes? If yes I'd like to ask you few questions about that:

- where can I find this devices? I found some sellers, but no datasheet, and I found some datasheet but not the seller. I found some tunnel diodes on ebay, but in any case they all seem obsolete. So the next question:
- Are tunnel diodes still produced? Or are they being suppressed in the cost/benefit ratio by other devices? If tunnel diodes are still alive:
- Is there a way to simulate the behavior with spice simulator? Where could I find a spice model?

Thanks in advance!
OB_1

Thanks a lot ahmad, that's a starting point!

about simulation with spice if you use pspice you can select tunnel diode for example: 1N4393

Reactions: OB_1

OB_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi OB_1,

See this offer and write him to ask validity: **broken link removed**

IF you wish to use such diode at frequencies under say 100 MHz then I suggest using the so called Lambda diode because you can actually assemble a Lambda diode you yourself from two JFETs (from a P and an N channel type) or from an N channel JFET and a PNP transistor because a P channel JFET is becoming also obsolote...:shock: The difference between a Lambda and a real tunnel diode is in the forward bias voltage and current, apart from the operational frequency limit.

Just found this manufacturer for tunnel diodes: http://www.aeroflex.com/ams/metelics/micro-metelics-prods-TD-MBD.cfm

Regading a model in Spice: **broken link removed**

unkarc

Reactions: OB_1

OB_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
about simulation with spice if you use pspice you can select tunnel diode for example: 1N4393

Again, thanks for the hint!!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi OB_1,

See this offer and write him to ask validity: **broken link removed**

IF you wish to use such diode at frequencies under say 100 MHz then I suggest using the so called Lambda diode because you can actually assemble a Lambda diode you yourself from two JFETs (from a P and an N channel type) or from an N channel JFET and a PNP transistor because a P channel JFET is becoming also obsolote...:shock: The difference between a Lambda and a real tunnel diode is in the forward bias voltage and current, apart from the operational frequency limit.

Just found this manufacturer for tunnel diodes: http://www.aeroflex.com/ams/metelics/micro-metelics-prods-TD-MBD.cfm

Regading a model in Spice: **broken link removed**

unkarc

Dear unkarc,
thank you very very much for the very useful suggestions. I'll try with the lambda diode first, and perhaps order some discrete tunnel diodes.
Bye!
OB_1

Status
Not open for further replies.