Not open for further replies.

OB_1

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
have anyone ever dealt with tunnel diodes? If yes I'd like to ask you few questions about that:

- where can I find this devices? I found some sellers, but no datasheet, and I found some datasheet but not the seller. I found some tunnel diodes on ebay, but in any case they all seem obsolete. So the next question:
- Are tunnel diodes still produced? Or are they being suppressed in the cost/benefit ratio by other devices? If tunnel diodes are still alive:
- Is there a way to simulate the behavior with spice simulator? Where could I find a spice model?

Thanks in advance!
OB_1

Thanks a lot ahmad, that's a starting point!

about simulation with spice if you use pspice you can select tunnel diode for example: 1N4393

Reactions: OB_1

OB_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi OB_1,

See this offer and write him to ask validity: **broken link removed**

IF you wish to use such diode at frequencies under say 100 MHz then I suggest using the so called Lambda diode because you can actually assemble a Lambda diode you yourself from two JFETs (from a P and an N channel type) or from an N channel JFET and a PNP transistor because a P channel JFET is becoming also obsolote...:shock: The difference between a Lambda and a real tunnel diode is in the forward bias voltage and current, apart from the operational frequency limit.

Just found this manufacturer for tunnel diodes: http://www.aeroflex.com/ams/metelics/micro-metelics-prods-TD-MBD.cfm

Regading a model in Spice: **broken link removed**

unkarc

Reactions: OB_1

OB_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
about simulation with spice if you use pspice you can select tunnel diode for example: 1N4393

Again, thanks for the hint!!

- - - Updated - - -

Dear unkarc,
thank you very very much for the very useful suggestions. I'll try with the lambda diode first, and perhaps order some discrete tunnel diodes.
Bye!
OB_1

Status
Not open for further replies.