Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tuning Voltage of a VCO in a PLL [hlp]

Status
Not open for further replies.

No one

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vco tuning voltage

Hello Everyone;
I have questions about tuning voltage line of a VCO in a discrete PLL. How long it can be? Is there any consideration that must be in mind in designing this line?

pll tuning voltage

In theory the line adds delay which turns up in your feedback loop. And if you remember right from your control theory introductory course, delay is very hard to be controlled.

Now back to reality: in practice your loop bandwidth of the PLL is in the order of magnitude of a few kHz. The delay (even if several centimeters) will only add a fraction to the open loop phase response. I wouldn't worry to much about that.

Another thing is the interference pickup. The longer the line, the higher the chances for picking up any disturbing signal from a coupled loop. This is important.

tuning voltage

No one said:
Hello Everyone;
I have questions about tuning voltage line of a VCO in a discrete PLL. How long it can be? Is there any consideration that must be in mind in designing this line?

Long lines introduces an additional Resistor, capacitor and Inductance. As consequence this will change your PLL behaviour. You have to take into account these additional parasitics when you design the filter.

vco tuning line input impedance

Uh, delay? If your tuning line was 1 km long, that would give you only 3 nS delay--in other words it is not a problem. You get 100 to 10,000 time more group transport delay in the digital divider used in the PLL.

The problem is really twofold:
1) noise pickup. As the VCO tune input is a high impedance point, you will pick up all sorts of electrical noise along the length of that line. Also, since the ground of your VCO is now attached to the ground of your PLL filter board by a long length of line, you can easily develop many millivolts of ground loop noise. On some systems I have seen that were rack mounted, I could measure 1 V of ground loop noise going from one rack mounted enclosure to another, for instance.
2) The input to the VCO tune likely looks like a purely capacitive load. If you try to terminate a long line with a reactance, you can get odd multiple reflections. Also, your op amp may go unstable with certain reflected load impedances.

tuning voltage of vco

Since there isn't any current , the length can be long.But if you use 3rd order PLL Loop Filter, last R-C components should be connected as close as possible to the Vtune input of the VCO.There won't be any delay or loss because the frequency in the loop filter is only reference frequency that is max few MHz.

filtering vco tuning voltage

To circumvent any noise pickup, you need to ensure that no noisy signals are close to the VCO tune trace and that it has a well defined return path, preferably uninterrupted ground planes above/beneath the trace (packed). Also guard traces can help here, but be careful where to pick the ground connection point for this (close to the VCO tune input pin and nowhere else).

vco grounding problems

anybody has a schematic diagram of VCO?

Status
Not open for further replies.