Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tubes & Ge Transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Tubes are coming back, Germanium transistors on the other hand are likely to go extinct, (i still have a handful stash of AD162, 2N1308, OC16, 18, & 28).

share your thoughts:wink:

Other than guitar amps (where they never really left), I'm not really sure tubes ARE coming back. Are they putting them in flat-screen tvs and cell phones now?

I was surprised a couple of weeks ago when somebody mentioned in this thread that Germanium transistors are easily available in Bulgaria. See post 6 and 7.

I still haven't figured out how that's possible.:-?

That circuit uses very old Germanium transistors. I don't think you could build that now because the transistors are obsolete and have not been available for many years.
....i have them all and in bulgaria you can buy them from every electronics shop

....and they are very cheap too

Last edited:

tubes will not massively come back, and this is because their sound can be digitally simulated, providing the manufactorer marginal profits (and no tube, and no opt transformer, and not hi-v power needed!!!)
.. however, for those who know[vintage audiophiles etc] , the demand has risen. fortunatelly there is still production of quality tubes from JJ/Tesla :D . More better, there is still a huge N O S !!! and even more better,there are many quality used tubes out there hidden for 40 years in basements...

im ON for massive production !

I read in a musician's forum, that some of the earliest guitar effect pedals used germanium transistors, and the musicians loved its sound.

About a decade ago, there was a company called Germanium Power Devices that still manufactured Ge transistors.
The company has now changed its name to GPD Electronics, and now exclusively manufacture Ge-based optoelectronic devices, but no transistors.

So unless someone is still making them in an ex-Soviet block country, I think that they will become extinct.
Hold on to your collection.

EDIT: Could you post some photos of your transistors?

Status
Not open for further replies.