Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] TTL logic level voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovin555

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For TTL signals the voltage levels are:
0 - 0.8 = low
2 - 5.0 = high

So for a digital IC ,say the MOSI pin for SPI,if i give a voltage between 0.9V and 1.9,for example say 1.5V,will it damage the IC?

I want to know if i give a voltage in the forbidden state continuously to a digilat logic pin ,will that damamge the IC?

Hi,

to trave from high to low and back you should be only a short time in the "frobidden" state. Therfore sometimes you see a min dV/dt rise rate or fall rate.

To your question:
Usually the IC will not be damaged. But with some Ic you will see oscillating (depends on source impedance) and usually you will see increased VCC current caused by crow bar currents of th IC´s input stage.
Avoid this for low power (battery powered) applications.

Hope this helps.

Klaus

So even if we give a fixed voltage in the forbidden state also,this oscillation will occur?
I mean instead of of a pulse,if i give a fixed 1.5V,will that cause oscillation?

Hi,

if you give a low impedance voltage to the input it is unlikely to oscillate. But state/function is not predictable.
Maybe a schmitt trigger single gate logic could help.

Klaus

Okke...thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.