Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Truly DIY MSP430 programmer...need some info

Status
Not open for further replies.

seemanta

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
msp430 programmer diy

Hi,
I am planning to create a DIY msp430 programmer. Better to put to use the free MSP430F2013IN samples I received of late. :D

I have searched this forum and the web, but did not find a truly DIY version. Basically most of them are telling to get an olimex parallel-JTAG cable or something.

Now I would want to avoid shipping a cable all the way to india, because the freight charges would be more than the actual cost of the cable. :(

My requirements are following:

1. The programmer should be realizable with normal electronic components.
2. No need for fancy hardware or expensive HW that I have to ship from somewhere across the globe.
3. Support for JTAG real time debugging. This is a MUST.

I have gone through the application notes in the TI website but would prefer not to re-invent the wheel. Also their application note does not mention about debugging much.

Also the 20USD USB evaluation board from TI seems like a good deal but I would very much want to make my own.

I also learnt about MSPFET tool for flashing the micro. But there is no mention of any debugging support or the associated circuitry anywhere :(

So if anyone of you already know of an existing DIY programmer/debugger, I would be grateful if you give me some pointers for the same.

Thanks in advance!
~Seemanta

Status
Not open for further replies.