Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trouble using Spartan 3A Starter Kit and USB to JTAG cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

armed23ogm

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spartan 3a lcd program

Hello,

I just purchased a Spartan 3A Starter Kit because I wanted to start using FPGA's. I bought the JTAG - USB Digilent cable and installed the Adept software. When I try running the Adept software, the FPGA device is not identified correctly. Here's an example output of the software:

Initializing Scan Chain...
Found device ID: ffffffff
Found device ID: 0fbfffff
Found device ID: 7fffffff
Found device ID: ff3fefdf
Found device ID: ec993fff
Found device ID: ff7fffbf
Found device ID: 99ffffff
Found device ID: e795d834
Found device ID: 80386fff
Found device ID: 47cc80b1
Found device ID: ec0effff
Found device ID: ffb079ff
Found device ID: fffffbff
Found device ID: 7e7f9fff
Found device ID: fffffffe
Found device ID: 7ff3cff9
Initialization Failed.

I have the jumper settings set to the default factory settings which correctly produce the Spartan 3A demo (LCD, sound, and VGA all work correctly). I have tried pretty much almost all possible combination's of jumper settings and still did not get the Adept software to recognize the device.

I have the USB-JTAG cable connected to jumper J23 as the manual says it should be, and the text on the cable is facing the FPGA (so the polarity is correct).

The weird thing is that the USB-USB cable finds the FPGA with no problem and I can program it.

I also have a Freescale S3E Project Module FPGA board (also made by Digilent), and the Adept software recognized the FPGA using the USB-JTAG cable. I guess this shows that the cable works correctly and the drivers are installed correctly.

My guess is I am somehow doing something silly with the jumper settings. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

can you send me the user manual for the freescale s3e project module and any documentations for it.

i have this kit for two weeks now but i can't get any data about it so i can't use it till now.

Kindly anyone has any documentations about it, post it here or mail me at enga3b2@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back