Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Trouble getting common emitter amplifier to work as a vas stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon-Pedersen

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I have been given the task of designing a 3 stage 300 watt audio amplifier. The amplifier is suppose to contain a differential input stage, a voltage amplifying stage and a class AB output stage.

I have nailed the first and last stage, but can't seem to get the design of the VAS stage to work.

The design I am trying to achieve has the following specifications :

1. The operating point given from the differential input stage is 45 Volts, with a signal swing of 14 V
  2. A Collector current of 1 mA
  3. A overall VAS stage gain of 1000 V/V
  4. VCC+ and VCC- 60 V
  5. Delivering the output signal to a load of 100k ohms.

Given the fact that I know that there is 1 mA flowing through the collector, I choose the Resistor(RC) to be around 60 K, this ensures that when no input signal is applied to the VAS stage the output should be zero.

From there i calculated what the emitter resistance(RE) should be based on the following equation :

\[
\begin{equation}
AV =\frac{ \frac{RC*RL}{RC+RL}}{re+Re}
\end{equation}
\]

Only problem is that when i simulate the circuit using LTSPICE, i don't get a 1000V/V amplification at all, in fact i get an attenuation.
I have uploadede some pictures of my circuit and the input and output.

I Hope someone can point me in the right direction, i have been hammering at it all day,
Vas.pngOutput.asc.pngOperatingpoints.pnginputvas.asc.png

First of alI, i dont think you want that current source in the emitter. When you say the collector current 1ma, what do you mean? At zero input? Can you ac couple the input?

The voltage gain of a transistor is roughly the collector load impedance (yours is 37.5k) divided by the emitter load impedance. Your emitter load is a current source with a very high impedance so your transistor has no voltage gain.

DC Current Sources are Open Circuit for AC signals, therefore you don't get amplification.

Status
Not open for further replies.