Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trobleshoot PC Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

fais_78

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day all,
recently i tried to repair my Pc Power supply,found dead body of lizard which probabaly contributed in the Short Circuit.Both protector caps (insulated)beside the 470µf found totally burn out,fuse 8A was cut off.Yet,after replaced all mention parts the Power Supp still down.I noticed that the heat sink which attached to the power transistor contain with 120V.Is there any possible for heat sink to conduct current instead of heat from the base of transistor?Is there any tricks to recognize transistor's condition?Thanks for the info,may ---(him) speed ur electronic skills.
ciow!

Hi,
I had the same problem the other day and the best i had to do was replace with a new one. It will cost double the price of a new one to repair.

Ras

fais_78 said:
Good day all,
recently i tried to repair my Pc Power supply,found dead body of lizard which probabaly contributed in the Short Circuit.Both protector caps (insulated)beside the 470µf found totally burn out,fuse 8A was cut off.Yet,after replaced all mention parts the Power Supp still down.I noticed that the heat sink which attached to the power transistor contain with 120V.Is there any possible for heat sink to conduct current instead of heat from the base of transistor?Is there any tricks to recognize transistor's condition?Thanks for the info,may ---(him) speed ur electronic skills.
ciow!
Transistors should be insulated from the heatsink. The best way to check the conditions of those transistors would be to desolder them and check it out of the circuit, because sometimes checking in-circuit can give you false results (unless you know what to expect). Also, ATX PSU will NOT start unless it is inside computer or you connect green wire (there is only ONE green wire) in ATX plug to GND. Check also 5V stand-by oscillator, check ALL semiconductors on primary side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back