Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TRL calibration reflection standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIQ

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
trl calibration

Hi,

I am not clear what is the meaning and reason for the following words. Please explain.

"The phase of the reflection standard must be known within 1/4 wavelength"
----excerpt from Agilent TRL tutorial

Many thanks!

trl calibration tutorial

here "reflection" means a one-port device with high reflection (ex. ro>0.95) and known phase of reflection. the reflection phase should be known with a (lambda/4=pi/2) accuracy.
the reason should will be clear if you draw the NA error modeling flow diagram (see: **broken link removed**)

reflection standard

In the TRL method, you need to solve some nonlinear euqation to obtain the phase of the reflection standard. This equation could have two solutions from a pure mathematical point of view. You need to specify which one is correct (i.e. physical) to determine uniquely the correct "error model".

lambda over 4 trl calibration

i also don't understand! pls give more explain.tks!:?:

I think they are talking about the reference plane.
In other words, the reflection standard should not
be too long. And apparently 1/4 wavelength is
good enough for errors.

consider the following analogy
x=Sqrt(-1) has two roots: x=+j and x=-j in mathematical sense, but only one root is physical and the methdo needs your help to choose the correct root. If you say the root should have a phase >0 and <180, then it picks +j....

Hi,
Thank you very much for all your reply.
Still confused: This reflection standard (only single length) actually cover very wide frequency range. so the "1/4 wavelength", the wavelength here is corresponding to which frequency? Thx

at each frequency, a "nominal" value is needed for the phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back