Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triac light control : flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynnor

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have always used the following schematic to control my lighting in my application :
1619559426178.png

I have changed the lights for a 100W sodium-vapor lamp and a 39W tube lamp. Both have an integrated electronic ballast. And now, even when optotriac is off (I assume it from the input led command I checked with a scope), the tube lamp is blinking ! If the 100W lamp is the only one plugged, there is no blink, but the light is slightly on.
What I tried:
- Open the snubber to identify a possible leakage
- Change R_snubber to 360 Ohm
- Put an R2-C1 filter like the following one (39 Ohm - 100n and 39 Ohm - 10n) to dump any oscillation. It was even worst
1619559857891.png
- Add 10kOhm load across the triac terminals to dissipate a possible leakage

Nothing improved the situation.
Unfortunately, I don't have the stuff to make scope measurements in this part of the board, so I am working like Gilbert Montagné is playling piano

Do you have any idea from where the problem can come from ?
Thank you

Attachments

• 1619559540695.png
    1619559540695.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 76

Really your snubber cap is too small - ideally at least 47nF 375Vac and 100 ohms - but the leakage of this size snubber may power your load slightly

but to avoid false turn ons - place a 47nF or 100nF cap across the RGK.

I added a 100nF across Rgk, it's a bit better but I don't think it is a good idea for gate inrush current (that's why R2 is here)
I don't have a lot of X2 cap and suitable resistors with me. I tried a snubber 39R-110n, 330R-10n.
Increase C1 seems to worsen the situation whereas I thought it was the key component in my problem

I added a 100nF across Rgk, it's a bit better but I don't think it is a good idea for gate inrush current (that's why R2 is here)
- bollox - there is no mechanism to increase gate inrush current by adding this cap

- Remove C1 ( this is the cap supplying gate current )

- Just use a standard snubber ACROSS MT1 - MT2, AND the drive in the 1st pic ....

- bump up the gate capacitance to 220nF .... do not add RGK.

Status
Not open for further replies.