Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TRIAC Fan Speed Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBTECH

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Edaboard Community ,

I am using the circuit in the attachment without problem while i am driving fan motors up to 0.8 kw . In order to reduce cost i tried to remove L2 chooke inductor (150mH) in the drawing. It is a special made toroid inductor and costs money. When I removed the inductor and shorted that path ,my circuit still works as it works before.

I think that this inductor is for limiting current when starting the motor. I have 0.8 Kwatt fan motor in my lab and even it starts without any problem. So what is your suggestion about removing that inductor ?

I use BTA16-600CW snubberless triac . Btw , even i remove RC Snubber network it still works ok .

Many thanks

Last edited:

In this application, inductor main role is not to limit starting current, it's to reduce distorsions / harmonics injected in power grid (EMI). Sure work w/o this inductor but maybe will not pass an EMI testing. For commercial selling, EMI testing/aproval it's an important step in lunching a product on market.

Reactions: SBTECH

SBTECH

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.