Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transport delay and inertial delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhils.vlsi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
inertial delay

Please help me in these queries

1.)What is the diffeernce between transport delay and inertila delays
2.) Are they another name of inter assignment delay adn intra assignment delay
3.)In terms of application which one is good to implement with blocking and non blocking assignement
4.)which of thetwo cannot be used along with "assign " i.e. continous assgnementandwhy ???

inertial and transport delay

hi

check this pdf for transport and inertial delays

http://www.sunburst-design.com/papers/CummingsHDLCON1999_BehavioralDelays_Rev1_1.pdf

Added after 18 minutes:

Blocking Assignments
Blocking assignments are the most basic of the assignment operations, and simply copy the value of the expression at the right hand side of the = operator to the variable on the left hand side. However, if two assignments that depend on each other are scheduled at the same time, e.g. an attempt to swap two variables, such as :

always @(posedge clk) a = b;

always @(posedge clk) b = a;

then a race condition occurs, and both a and b will end up with one of the values. The value that they are both left with will depend on which of the assignments was scheduled first.

Non-blocking Assignments
Non-blocking assignments eliminate the possibility of race conditions in situations like this, as at the time that the assignment operation is executed the expression on the right hand side of the <= operator is copied to an internal temporary variable, which is then copied to the variable on the left hand side. All of the `reads' for a particular timestep are carried out before any of the `writes', and so values can be safely swapped as below :

always @(posedge clk) a <= b;

always @(posedge clk) b <= a;

This time, the code has the intended effect.

inter assignment delay and inertial delay

hi
tranport delay and iinertial delay r clearly discussed in VHDL by J.bhasker.refer tht book.

what is inertial delay

In inertial delay ,the spikes are not propagated to the output whereas in transport delay the spikes are propagated to the output. Usually inertial delays are used for component delays , while transport delay for interconnect delays

inter assignment delay and inertial delay

Inertial delay
I/p pulse that do not exceed the propagation delay of the gate do not propagate to the O/P

Transport delay
It's the time taken by signal to propagate through a net ie through wire also known as time of flight

transport delay wire

Inertial delay is like the inertia of the signal, i.e. the time it takes to generate signal from the gate after i/p is provided

And Transport delay is related to transportation, i.e. the time needed in transportation of signal, from o/p of one gate to the i/p of another gate.

Plz, correct me if i am wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back