Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transmit PetSafe Signal ~200 Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonie

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi - I want to extend the range of my PetSafe wireless fence so the dogs can roam. It reaches about 75 feet now, and I'd like to extend it to around 200.

I came across this article about creating a very small range transmitter, which was handy because it contained a Pure Data file of the petsafe signal.

"I saw that it transmitted a pulsing a sinusoidal wave at about 10.5K Hz. The wave pulsed every 36mS."

I got that file running on a raspberry pi but now I have no idea how to transmit it. I've got usb, audio, and hdmi ports to use.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to accomplish broadcasting this signal the dogs and I would much appreciate it. I'm pretty good at computers but, some occasional soldering aside, have little idea about electronics. Thanks.

A ESP8266 or ESP32 could log into network and a command from RPI could cause them
to gen the burst sine out of a wave table stored onboard.

This means you need to be able to write software.

Alternatively use a simple ESP8266 remote control wifi example to turn a light
or relay on off, and use something that requires virtually no code like (single chip
solution, 1 line code needed to start WaveDAC) -

1613182839969.png

Note ESP32 has a DAC + WiFi capability, so if you can code thats a one chip solution.

Regards, Dana.
--- Updated ---

A solution for the audio amp something simple like this -

Regards, Dana.
--- Updated ---

Note if you don't need a sinusoid then just the ESP8266 will do it all, over WiFi, and use
RPI to turn it on and off. Some coding is required. But you can find all kinds of on/off ESP8266
wifi projects on web. You would just have to add code to the ESP8266 to output a tone on a
pin.

Regards, Dana.
--- Updated ---

Google "remote animal alarm tone esp8266"

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Would you be better off with a simple
"gain block" that just ups the TX power
by 10x (+10 dBm) giving a 3X range more
or less? If you can find a good 50-ohm
launch point (like the root of antenna?)
and solder on a SMA connector then you
would have plenty of cheap options for
a small PA (like Mini-Circuits at various
component distributors). Then take that
antenna, attach it to another SMA and
there's your lineup.

What is the RF Frequency, might be on the product label. Or on lable
the FCC certification number, which would allow one to look up the
information.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.