Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor sizing-cascode gain stage-noise performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricopt

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
anyone know how my transistor sizing W/L affect my noise performance ?

From what i simulated out

My result is when i using W=45, L=0.18, my noise is 3.14pA
while W=44, L=0.18, my noise is higher, which is 3.15pA

From what i research, it should be lower rite ?

if we decrease transistor sizing W/L ratio, transimpedance gain will increase, and noise will be reduced .

Can someone clarify for me ?

Thanks
any reply are greatly appreciated

Noise is inversly related to the Area of the transistors. So when u reduced the width from 45 to 44 the area WL reduced and hence the noise increased.

Reactions: ricopt

ricopt

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Is there any reference that i can refer to regarding sizing and noise ?

Then is W/L increase, bandwidth will decrease is it correct ?

How its affect transimepdance gain ?

Last edited:

- You can refer to Razavi, chapter on "noise". Flicker noise to be more specific. Flicker Noise is modelled as a voltage sourse whose magnitude depends upon transistor area "WL". You can then look into thermal noise as well.
- No, the bandwith increases. As you increase W/L, current increases( which can be considered as a decrease in the effective output impedance) and since the output impedance decreases the gain decreases. Product of gain and bandwidth is a constant, since the gain decreased the bandwidth increased.
Another way of looking at it is - as w/l increases, current increases so now there is more current to charge and discharge the output capacitance. This mean that it would now take less time to charge and discharge the capacitnaces so it is much faster and hence it can be used at relatively higher frequencies i.e. an increase in the bandwidth.

- gain decreases as i mentioned above.

Reactions: ricopt

ricopt

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back