Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Transistor power calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

darryl_co

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do I calculate the power flowing through the transistor. Should I take Vcc*Ic or Vce(sat)*Ic. Vce(sat) as in mentioned in the Datasheet of a transistor. If instead of a relay it was a resistor and input was a square wave signal, does the calculation remain the same. Sample values would be Vcc 35 VDC and resistor value 2K2

Attachments

• Transistor01.gif
    Transistor01.gif
    1 KB · Views: 68

power dissipated in a tranasistor is Vce*Ic.
if the transistor is used for switching then , Vce(sat)*Ic.

If the resistance of the relay is equal to the resistor value connected , then it is same.

Transistors are rated for Vce(sat) at Ic,Ib where it is typically Ic/Ib=10. Better devices mayy be rated for 20 up to 50

The results for coil or Rc would be same only if coil resistance was same as a fixed resistor.

Pwr= Ic*Vce and will be saturated if Ic/Ib matches rating on the device.

When you look closely at VI curves, when any transistor or diode is saturated you can extrapolate the VI curve as it becomes a fairly constant resistance. sometimes referred to as Rce the incremental slope. V/I

Can I use the 2N5551 in this circuit or I need to change with a higher power device

Attachments

• Tx Power.jpg
    Tx Power.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 70

Hi,

IC in the 2N5551 is about 16mA.

Power doesn't flow in a transistor. It is dissipated. It heats up the transistor.

Only in device like a motor, a speaker or a LEDs it is (partly) transformed into other physical power (mechanical, noise, light)

For all other devices (that don't transform power), the dissipated = heating power is the current multiplied with the voltage across the device: P = I x U. This is true for DC....With AC it is more complicated..

Klaus

Hi,

IC in the 2N5551 is about 16mA.

Power doesn't flow in a transistor. It is dissipated. It heats up the transistor.

Only in device like a motor, a speaker or a LEDs it is (partly) transformed into other physical power (mechanical, noise, light)

For all other devices (that don't transform power), the dissipated = heating power is the current multiplied with the voltage across the device: P = I x U. This is true for DC....With AC it is more complicated..

Klaus
So should I calculate wattage consumed by the transistor as Vcc *16mA or voltage across transistor *16mA

Hi,

Always use voltage_across_device to calculate dissipated power.

For switching a relay you should consider using a single FET instead of two bjts. More easy.

In either way: don't forget the freewheeling diode across the relay coil.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.