Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor model in SPICE simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

oAwad

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

When I use high performance transistor model with a design SPICE netlist (generated from std cell design flow), I get the correct results in SPICE simulation. However, when I try to use low threshold transistor model, I get wrong results.

I just replace the "NMOS_HP" file with "NMOS_VTL" (with changing the transistor model for all the cells in the design SPICE netlist), so what might be the problem ?

I'm using HSIM for SPICE simulation.

Are you including the right model file? What error are you seeing?

If you have sequential cells in you netlist (flip-flops), you may get hold violations. Because VTL transistors are faster.

What is "wrong" about the results, and how do you
know the results are "wrong" rather than "undesirable"?

If you have sequential cells in you netlist (flip-flops), you may get hold violations. Because VTL transistors are faster.

How is VTL transistors are faster ? I thought that high performance transistors are faster on the cost of leakage, while VTL have lower leakage (low power) on the cost of speed.

How is VTL transistors are faster ? I thought that high performance transistors are faster on the cost of leakage, while VTL have lower leakage (low power) on the cost of speed.

You got this wrong. Low VT transistors are faster, and leak more. High VT transistors are slower and leak less.

Reactions: oAwad

oAwad

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
VTL = voltage threshold low (high speed, high leak)
VTH = voltage threshold high (low speed, low leak)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back