Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor current input from OPAMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipper_md

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all

I've built this motion detection circuit and it work fine,

**broken link removed**

but I want to add a status led hooked directly after the two diodes and I dunno how to calculate current there for a transistor and the correct resistor to get it saturated?..

all I know is that voltage is 3.2 or 0 volts...

Is there a way to physically measure these things or it has to be computed/simulated?

thanks[/img]

To drive an LED you need roughly 10mA (btw. you need a current limiting resistor in series with LED - see attached picture)) ..

An average NPN BJT has the gain of no less than 100, so:
10mA/100 =>01.mA – that’s the Base current ..

[3.2V – 0.65V]/0.1mA => 25.5kohm
0.65 represent the Ube voltage below which the transistor is “OFF” ..

To make sure that the transistor is going to be “saturated” – “ON”, choose a resistor below 25.5k, and anything between 10k and 20k would be a reasonable choice ..

IanP
:D

thanks for the fast reply Ian!

I assume a 2N3904 would be fine?
where do the 0.65 Ube come from? is it the same as Vce on this spec sheet?
so I could recalculte using 1.0V...

**broken link removed**

no worry for the LED, I've burned enought of these to know they like to hang beside a resistor :)

V[ce] is the Collector-Emitter voltage ..

I'm talkig abot U[be]: Base-Emitter - look at the very bottom of the table that you provided in your post - U[be]sat ..

IanP
:D

Oh right there in my face LOL

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back