Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor common emitter amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resistanceisfutile

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
So I've got a transistor and a datasheet for it.
I've found many values including those for; Ic, Vceo, Vcbo, Vebo, Ibl (base cutoff current), Icex (collector cutoff current), Collector-emitter saturation voltage and Base-emitter saturation voltage.
I was just wondering, how would I use this information to help me build a common-emitter amplifier?

hi,
Its usual to have an application in mind when starting to design a BJT amplifier.
eg: DC or AC amp, output power , frequency range [ bandwidth], impedances etc.

What application are you considering.?
E

Currently just audio, so no higher frequency than 20 KHz. I was thinking of trying the voltage divider biasing technique, I just wondered if there's some equations (relevant to the stats I found for my transistor) I use to select the components?

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
1) Pick a certain supply voltage and idling collector current. Then the collector resistor and emitter resistor values can be calculated.
2) Check the datasheet of the transistor for its minimum hFE at the collector current you have selected.
3) Calculate a base current from the minimum hFE then use 10 times as much current in the voltage divider and calculate their values.
4) Add a bypass capacitor parallel to the emitter resistor for maximum voltage gain, maximum distortion, minimum bandwidth and minimum input impedance.
5) Pick the minimum frequency (7Hz?) then calculate the values for the input capacitor, output capacitor and emitter capacitor.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.