Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor and Zener Diode Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

isurunalaka

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear all

pls let me know if you are using any tester which can be used for testing both transistors and zener diodes. basically i need a tester with below specifications. pls help.

Hfe Measurement:
Hfe measurement is done at Test Voltage: 3.6 Volt VCC
Base current: 8 µ A
Accuracy of Test Voltage and Base Current: ± 1%
Iceo Measurement:
Range of Test Voltage: 35 to 130 Volt.
Range of display of Leakage Current Meter: 1.999 mA
Accuracy of Test Voltage and Leakage Current: ± 1%
Diode Forward Drop Measurement:
Range of Test Current: 0 to 10 Amp
Range of Forward Drop Display: 0 to 1.999 V
Accuracy of Forward Drop and Test Current: ± 1%
Diode Reverse Breakdown Voltage Measurement:
Range of Test Voltage: 10 to 1000 V
Accuracy of Reverse Breakdown Voltage Indication: ± 1%
Zener Voltage Measurement:
Range of Test Voltage: 10 to 1000 V @ 25µA
Accuracy of Zener Voltage Indication: ± 1%
:wink:

Hi,

Accuracy of Forward Drop and Test Current: ± 1%

Mind that this and other parameters depend on juction temperature. An accuracy of 1% is possible only with temperature stabilizer for the DUT.

Klaus

thanks for the input klaus. Has anyone used this kind of a tester before?

basically i need to do performance testing of transistors and zener diodes.

So for transistor testing you need a current source with 8 uA base current. A digital ammeter for checking it, and to measure hfe connect it to collector circuit. You need a variable voltage power supply for collector circuit.
As not many people test individual transistors over such wide range, you may need to start from this.
On the olden days, Tektronix offered a combined transistor curve tracer with most of your specifications.
Recently i Saw a Rigol product but I am not sure how this would work for you.
To test Zeners you need again a variable voltage power supply and a meter to read 25 uA. To protect it from breakdowns and shorts I would use a 1 kOhm resistor and read the voltage across it.
Install all equipment in a temperature-controlled cage and use metal walls to prevent RF interference.

- - - Updated - - -

And please, be careful with voltages over 50 V. 1000v can kill an operator, so use diode and transistor holder blocks or sockets made of insulating material so nobody would touch metal parts.

if you have got 2 transistors rated at same conditions, what are the criteria you are checking to select best transistor?

if you have got 2 transistors rated at same conditions, what are the criteria you are checking to select best transistor?

Depends on application. This explains why there are so many types on the market.

imagine if application of transistors are for CFLs. then what kind of criteria should be compared?

imagine if application of transistors are for CFLs. then what kind of criteria should be compared?

I think for CPL ballast or pulse generator one needs power transistors capable of switching high current pulses and high c-e voltages. Find corresponding specifications and select transistors according to them.

The Tektronix curve tracers are still available from Ebay and other used equipment sources. In good condition they cost 10s of thousands of dollars, though.

If you are willing to write some control software, you can use a sourcemeter and a relay board to automatically measure and display parameters.

I have never seen/heard a such tester with 1kV voltage range.
And this tester will also check Iceo ( femto/pico amper level..)..
It might be very expensive and custom-designed tester that can be used to check these characteristics in a semiconductor factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.