Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transient simulation of the same circuit--different results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katrin

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Now I am using transient simulation in cadence to simulate the circuit. If I take a look into the small spike of the circuit output current in the time scale of several hundred nano seconds. I find the amplitude of this spike fluctuates. The amplitude of the spike can vary from 1,5uA up to 20uA, as far as I see.

1, the amplitude of the spike is different in each periode of the same simulation. For example, if the periode of the output signal is 1ms, then the amplitudes of this spike at 3ms and 4ms are different.....

2, the amplitude of the spike is different in different simulation. For example, each time I run the simulation, the results are a little different.

3, the amplitude of the spike is different on different computer. I have tested the simulation on 32bit computer and on 64bit computer, and cadence is installed in both of them. The results are also quite different.

And with all these three conditions, the spikes seem to vary randomly, there is no rules for the variations at all.

I am wondering what are the reasons. Is it because that the transient simulation is not accurate enough for such a small amount of current during several hundred nano seconds?

Re: transient simulation of the same circuit--different resu

Increase the accuracy of the simulator: reltol, abstol, etc

katrin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

in fact, I was using ULTRASIM in cadence to perform the simulation
because for large circuit, spectre is a little too slow

If you use different versions, it may be the difference of algorithm.
If the same, indeed amazing me.

katrin

which version do you mean? the version of cadence?

Hunter_BJUT said:
If you use different versions, it may be the difference of algorithm.
If the same, indeed amazing me.

yeah, version of cadence.
in the same condition, simulation results should be consistent, unless configuration difference.

katrin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back