Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformers at cadence Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZZAA

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,
I want to use a transformer to combine the outputs of two power amplifiers PAs
my used technology does not support transformers (TSMC 0.18)
So I will design my own transformer as follows
First, I will design it using HFSS simulator
Second I will import this gds file to cadence layout environment, However this transformer can not be taken into cadence's account (can not be extracted)
So, How I can do my post layout with this transformer.
-----------------------------------------------------------
or is there another easier way for designing and simulating my circuit?

My PAs are designed at 15 GHz

You might have to make your own aulvs views and/or
other "collateral" to enable extraction. Might start with
deconstructing PDK inductors to see what's done.

Another option is to simply represent the transformer
as its component inductors in the schematic hierarchy

OZZAA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You might have to make your own aulvs views and/or
other "collateral" to enable extraction. Might start with
deconstructing PDK inductors to see what's done.
Sorry I do not understand what do you mean
Could you illustrate more
I do not know about what do you mean by my own aulvs views and collateral" to enable extraction
and how I can do this method.

Another option is to simply represent the transformer
as its component inductors in the schematic hierarchy
do you mean that, I can define my trasformer as a 2 spiral inductor from the technology
if I understood correctly, how I can define the coupling factor between these two inductors in schematic and layout view for post layout
Thanks for your appreciated reply.

The best method is to use cadence ADE compatible Planar EM Simulator such as Sonnet or Keysight's Momentum or AXIEM of Cadence APPWAVE ( recent acquisition ). Otherwise you'll have lot of troubles.They work seamlessly in Cadence ADE and you don't have to impoprt GDSII files or whatsoever..
You draw your layout, simulate by one of the EM simulators mentioned above then import this layout as a "Black Box" represented by s-parameters.
There may be other easy to use options which I don't know but this is the best way.

OZZAA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You draw your layout, simulate by one of the EM simulators mentioned above then import this layout as a "Black Box" represented by s-parameters
you mean that I designed the transformer layout using Hfss or ADS and then importing its SNp file (S parameter files) to the schematic heraricy of the whole designed circuit in cadence, is not it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back