Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer undergoing saturation

Status
Not open for further replies.
fine.
i guess the windings would even burn if the secondary was kept open whether ac or dc was passed right??

Not when open when shorted and when applying AC.. When applying DC in primary, nothing will happen to the secondary as it was a steady flux..

You are worrying about open because you studied about current transformer.... The secondary of a current transformer cant be opened when applying current in primary.. It will be bunt by high voltage generated in the windings...........

yup i got the point that for the x'mer when secondary is shorted then windings will be burnt.
but, CT i a kind of a x'mer with 1:n ratio then same thing should be applicable to it also...

yup i got the point that for the x'mer when secondary is shorted then windings will be burnt.
but, CT i a kind of a x'mer with 1:n ratio then same thing should be applicable to it also...
Another "half-truth".

High current will only flow if the transformer primary is driven by a low impedance voltage source. But a current transformer is driven by a current source respectively a voltage source with a current limiting load circuit. Both primary and secondary current can't be higher than allowed by this circuit.

I am going to explan in simple way.: If dc is passed then there will be a large amount of current in primary due to its low resistance.It will produce much heat in primary such that it will burn the primary winding

Note the mistake transformer works for AC not DC.
If dc is passed then there will be a large amount of current in primary due to its low resistance.It will produce much heat in primary such that it will burn the primary winding[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back