Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer primary winding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, This is the picture of a mini magnetic amplifier (called ferristor).
If one would want to build the ferristor, how he should wind the left hand side windings?

My guess is that the left winding, must be two with different phase (wind opposite) so that they can cancel the transformer action from the output winding.

So how to wind them?
A guess is to start with a pair of magnet wire and start winding it into the core. The beginning points of this winding will form the top and bottom points of the left winding.
When finish the winding, connect the other ends of the wires together. This connection is the connection of the two left windings at the center of the ferristor.

Does this makes sense or I got it all wrong?

Attachments

• tmp.PNG
    tmp.PNG
    331.4 KB · Views: 97

My guess is that the left winding, must be two with different phase (wind opposite) so that they can cancel the transformer action from the output winding.

Then you will always see zero output. They are wound in the same direction. The permanent magnet provides some bias so that the core is working in the linear region. The magnet must not saturate the core (nor the signal).

A guess is to start with a pair of magnet wire and start winding it into the core. The beginning points of this winding will form the top and bottom points of the left winding.

The two ends of this winding will form the left side of the coil seen in the pic.
When finish the winding, connect the other ends of the wires together. This connection is the connection of the two left windings at the center of the ferristor.

You need to have another set of coils, just like a regular transformer. Only the core should be different.

Does this makes sense or I got it all wrong?

well, I have never heard about ferristor but that is my understanding from the diagram you provide.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.