Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer core losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman1710

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

Has anyone any good books, info from the web or own formula that are straight forward and easy to work through for the total power losses for a transformer core. I already know the size core, windings, primary inductance, currents and voltages etc .Any info will be much appreciated.

Cheers

The core manufacturers will list the core loss curves for different frequencies and flux densities.

They are listed as watt/kilogram.
When you select a core, it will show its weight in the specs. You only multiply the weight and core loss value to obtain the power loss.

You only multiply the weight and core loss value to obtain the power loss.

I would like some information really to work out core losses so I can work through to power losses

- - - Updated - - -

NOTE: This is needed for a dc-dc converter transformer

I would like some information really to work out core losses so I can work through to power losses
Yes and you got an answer. Look up the material properties, and there should be plots of specific core dissipation (in watts per volume or watts per mass) for different operating frequencies and flux swing. That can be used to calculate total core losses. If you have trouble finding this info, tell us what your core material and form factor are.

In the occasion when I worked with power designs, even having a good book as reference ( ex.: "Switching Power Supply Design" - by Abraham L Pressman ), it was not enough for cover all aspects with the deep that I needed. In general, for designs working at confortable switching frequencies as well not so high power levels, you can deal with the most tutorials available on the web.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.