Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transceiver maximum input frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanvv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to use the 74LVx16245 family of logic as a buffer for 100MHz inputs. However, when looking at the datasheet of several of these devices, none of them list a maximum input frequency or pulse width. Am I supposed to be able to derive it from other datasheet specs?

See:

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Philips Semiconductor PDFs/74LVC(H)16245A.pdf

or

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/74/74LCX16245.pdf

Also, is there a listing of what all the letters mean in the CMOS logic family? I can't figure out what the difference is between all the 74LV's, like: 74LVC, 74LVT, 74LVCH, 74LCX, 74ALVCHR.

edit: Did some more research and found this quote:

"For products that are not clocked (e.g., buffers and transceivers) for which you would like to know the maximum operating frequency, an estimate is the fclock value from a comparable clocked part. For example, an LVC16245 maximum data frequency is conservatively similar to the LVC16374 maximum clock frequency. However, this is highly dependent upon load, and is a rule-of-thumb only"

The LVC16374 series is specced at 100/150MHz. It doesn't sound safe to just use these buffers and assume that they'll pass the data along correctly, right?

Last edited:

basicaly, the max input frequency will be 1/(Tphl+Tplh), when those two values are stated in the datasheet. please note however, that it will change depending on the load capacitance.

regrding the logic families, have a look at:
Glue Logic IC Family Selection Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back