Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traffic light controller with timer display for a 4 road junction with any Micro. Cnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpcbmurthy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every one,

I just joined this forum. I would like to do a project for traffic signal control. At present, our existing system is having 3 Digit 7 Segment LED Display as timer (to show the remaining time in seconds) and three lights RED, YELLOW & GREEN (as general standard) for each direction. The timers in every direction shows remaining time of its signal light i.e. RED or GREEN as the case may be.

My Idea is to use Bi-Color 3 Digit 7 Segment LED Displays in each direction and removing three lights i.e. RED, YELLOW & GREEN. Bi-Color LED used is RED-GREEN. During RED Signal, the timer i.e. Bi-Color 3 Digit 7 Segment LED Display will run the time in RED Color and during Yellow Signal, the timer will run in Yellow Color (Amber Color) i.e. by giving supply to both the anodes (if we use common cathode LEDs) at a time and during GREEN Signal, the timer will run in GREEN Color.

If we implement this, we can save 12 lights for a four road junction and traffic can be controlled with four timers (Bi-color LEDs). Can it be possible with one Microcontroller such as Arduino Uno.

Please guide me in this project. If any other options, with microcontrollers only, please suggest me.

Thanks

It can be done but I dont think you will find 3 digit bi color seven segment displays and also you won't get colors with yellow and green. Even if you are not getting that take 3 numbers of bi color seven segment displays and connect the terminals together to work as 3 digits.

For controlling the You will be having 2 enable pins in the display to make it to glow as two different colors. color combinations may be either RED-GREEN or ORANGE-GREEN. So first find yellow-red combination display and will guide you regarding the interfacing. But better use a LED driver in your design.

you can buy Tri-color LED boards (RED,YELLOW,GREEN)...it work at different volt of showing color(RED,YELLOW,GREEN)...and as normally we can use a 8051 controller...in program step set volt according to color display..easier & simple.

Thank you Mr. Surender for your reply.

Bi-color LEDs proposed to use are RED-GREEN, by making it ON both the LEDs at a time, will produce Orange color. I think color combinations may not be a problem. I sen some where in the internet that 3 Digit 7 Segment LED Displays are available, but the thing is all seven pins of each digit are parallelly connected i.e. A,B,C,D,E,F, G segments of all 3 digits are connected paralelly and common cathode pins of each digit are separately connectable. If 3 Digit display is not available, I can use 3 single digit bi-color 7 Segment displays.

But, I don't know about LED Driver. Can you guide me.

Thank you,

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Mr. Rahul Siva. I want 4 sets i.e. 4 timers run together with one microcontroller. And for 8051, writing a program is OK. How to implement i.e. burning into IC and other associated circuit etc. Arduino Uno microcontroller board is readily available and we can write a program in PC and can be loaded using USB cable with arduino software which is freely available. Is 8051 kits are also available like this?

Please guide me.

Thank you

In that case it will tough for you to run the timing on 3 digits. Because all 3 digits will display only the same character and regarding the LED driver it is required to avoid the more current consumption and also to utilise less number of pins from the microcontroller. For example If you use PCA9532 IC which is LED driver which can control 16 LED's. But from controller you will be utilising only 2 or 3 Pins interfacing will be through I2C. Moreover you can even change the brightness of the LED's at any illumination intensity. So by using just 3 lines you will be able to control around 128 LED's (i.e 8 devices can be connected in a single I2C line and One device can control 16 LED's so 16X8 = 128 LED's)

Thank you all. I seems that the topic is some what diverting from main point. That is can we run four timers at a time with single Arduino Uno. If it is possible, then we can proceed further.

Thank you once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.