Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tracing through digital circuits IC chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydavis

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tracing through digital circuits IC chips

When tracing through these components:
Encoders
Decoders
Flip Flops
Counters
Shift Registers
Multiplexer
Demultiplexer

How do u know if they are functioning properly? or how can i trace through each one of these components ? how would u guys do this to verify them?

Its hard to use a DVM meter or oscilloscope sinse they have multiple inputs and outputs , plus i would need alot of signal generators for the logic inputs , resets, enable inputs

All the new PCB's are surface mount IC chips so you can't use Logic clips or logic monitor because they are only made for dual in-line package IC chips not for surface mount or through hole IC chips

How can i "STEP" a counter and a shift register through a complete cycle and verify inputs, outputs, resets, clears, and other signals?

How can i "STEP" through a Encoder and decoder inputs and outputs?

The Encoders outputs are not binary but numerical or address lines? or LCD displays

So you can't use a DVM meter on the outputs of a Encoder or inputs of a decoder because its not logical binary states but numerical address codes? instead of using a DVM meter can i use a LCD display and probe the outputs of a encoder?

A logic analyser is really what you want. You could try building a simple one.

how can i build a simplier one? what can i use?

Added after 10 minutes:

using a logic analzer, which "mode" do i use to monitor the outputs of encoders and multiplexers?

Since the outputs of encoders and multiplexers are address code or encoded code you can't use a DVM meter or oscilloscope right ? how would u monitor the signals?

I printed out the data sheets of each IC chips , than i test each input and output using a DVM meter, logic probe, oscilloscope but how can i "CYCLE" the inputs,resets,enables,outputs all at once?

A logic analyers doesn't have multiple signal generators its just for monitoring , so what can i use to provide multiple logic state inputs

1.) multiple inputs 1,2,3,4,5,etc
2.) Reset input
3.) Enable input
4.) Clock input

What can i use please?

Status
Not open for further replies.