Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] totem pole driver not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishanand14

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Friends

I made this circuit.When i am giving 5 v pulses i expect to get 15V pulses at the output.Instead I am getting 5 V pulses itself.
What may be the reason.
I tried with BD139/Bd140 complementary also.
totem_pole.jpg

The circuit is functioning fine, it should put out pulses from 0 to 4.5V, approximately. That circuit will increase the drive strength of the input, but won't increase the voltage range. To do that you need some sort of level shifter first.

I made this circuit.When i am giving 5 v pulses i expect to get 15V pulses at the output.Instead I am getting 5 V pulses itself.
What may be the reason.
I tried with BD139/Bd140 complementary also.

Hi manishanand14

If you need to increase amplitude of your signal use something like ICL7667 ! or perhaps using an optocoupler

Good Luck
Goldsmith

When I give 5 V input, the top NPN transistor will turn ON and (15-V ce_sat) V will appear across the resistor which is roughly 15V.
What mistake am i doing in understanding it.

- - - Updated - - -

The circuit is functioning fine, it should put out pulses from 0 to 4.5V, approximately. That circuit will increase the drive strength of the input, but won't increase the voltage range.
Will you explain in detail please !

when you consider the loop consisting of 5v input, 1k base resistor and sl100 b-e junction , and 100 ohm load , you can see that the 100 ohm will have a voltage of approx 5v only.

probably you have the assumption that , i give 5v to base of sl100 and it turns on. so , the output should be (15v - Vcesat) of sl100 which is wrong.

if you want 15v output , then you need to modify the circuit as level translator.

The SL100 top transistor is an emitter-follower with no voltage gain. If the input is +5V then its base will be about +4.6V because the 1k series base resistor will have a current of about 0.4mA and the emitter will be +4.6V - 0.7V= +3.9V because the base-emitter voltage drop is 0.7V. You need to add another transistor as a voltage amplifier (common-emitter).

What is the bottom transistor supposed to do?

Here is one way of doing it:

Attachments

• totem pole.png
    totem pole.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 758
Status
Not open for further replies.