Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toroidal Coil design in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roro28

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Anyone know how to draw a Toroidal Coil in HFSS for simulation? I drew the Torus as the core but I'm not sure how to draw the copper coil surrounding the torus. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

sorry, we design toroidal coil according to theory and experience, do not use HFSS for simulation.

Hi

Anyone know how to draw a Toroidal Coil in HFSS for simulation? I drew the Torus as the core but I'm not sure how to draw the copper coil surrounding the torus. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have never done this, but you can create an "equation based curve", on the "Draw" menu. I think you then sweep a cylinder over the curve, or something like that. That might work.

I have for other programs written C code to generate shapes. Once I know what I want, if I can describe it mathematically, I can generate a C program to write the code. But I don't think there's any way to do that in HFSS, as the file format is not open.

Does HFSS have the ability to read a common file format like DXF? That might be open, in which case you might be able to write a DXF file and import it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I was tempted to not reply to this, as I know my knowledge is weak, but I might just have some helpful suggestion.

Dave

Hi drkirkby,

I think I can import DXF files in HFSS. I know in MWS CST there is a macro to create a toroidal coil and I've been told that I could create the toroidal coil in HFSS from scratch although I couldn't after trying for several days.

Hi drkirkby,

I think I can import DXF files in HFSS.
It's not something I have done. but you don't surprise me.
I know in MWS CST there is a macro to create a toroidal coil and I've been told that I could create the toroidal coil in HFSS from scratch although I couldn't after trying for several days.

As a matter of interest, how were you told to do it? Was it by an Ansys engineer?

At that frequency is this required for? I know Ansys do another package more suited for lower frequencies. But I guess if you have HFSS, unless you are going to do a lot of it, buying the other software might not be an option.

Dave

I wasn't told how to do it, just that it is possible by an engineer. It's a high frequency application. I have both HFSS and CST so I can work with both but I try to build all my structures and do all my work with HFSS if it's possible.

It's a high frequency application.

Depending on power level, are you sure that a linear EM simulation is appropriate? How about saturation/nonlinear effects in the core?

This is no problem in HFSS :) Please see attached project. All you have to do is draw the torus, then draw the cross sectional shape that you would like to sweep in the path around the torus and 'Sweep along Path'. Then just increase the angle of rotation to increase/decrease the number of turns in the structure.

Have Fun

Attachments

• torus_coil_HFSS.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
sorry, we design toroidal coil according to theory and experience, do not use HFSS for simulation.
Not to be funny, but what is the point of answering a post if that is all you have to say?

This is no problem in HFSS :) Please see attached project. All you have to do is draw the torus, then draw the cross sectional shape that you would like to sweep in the path around the torus and 'Sweep along Path'. Then just increase the angle of rotation to increase/decrease the number of turns in the structure.

Have Fun

Hi tallface65,

I've just opened your project and thank you, that's exactly what I need. Can you just explain to me in detail step by step how you did it if you don't mind? As I'm a beginner in HFSS and still in the learning process. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

All info needed is in the geometry tree... :) Perhaps you could call your ANSYS AE and have them walk you through it with that project in hand as an example of what you want to do.

Have Fun

Hi Tallface65,
Thank you for your file.. I am doing something similar..However am struck at PORT assignment..!
So can you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back