Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Topologies for 5kW 60Vdc output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nov

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I would like to get your advice for selecting the power architecture(s) or topology(ies) for the following power supply:
Input: 200-250 Vac 1 phase
Output: 60V 75A
Industrial application
No isolation required
Cost sensitive
EMI class A required
Space not very limited
Ambient temperature up to 50 C or 122 F
Modularity is possible (ex.: 5 X 1KW instead af 1 X 1kW)
Can be fan cooled
No harmonic current requirement (EN6100-3-2)

For now I looked at resonant buck converter and full bridge phase shift. I think of using only a diode bridge with capacitor for the AC DC part since I do not have harmonic current requirement.

Witch power architecture would you suggest? What is your guest?

Thank a lot

Since you require NO isolation, a resonant buck is an intriguing possibility.

Having said that, the resonant passive components may be quite large, or its values not readily available.

I would do a feasibility study, that in essence means doing some paper-and-pencil calculations, probably some simulations, and then look into your favorite parts distributor to see if those components are available (and at what cost).
You do the same exercise with a full bridge configuration.

I don't think that you can get away without a feasibility study, and the time and effort involved on it. A lot of people here will have lots of opinions. But only cold, hard calculated facts will give you the optimal answer.

Reactions: nov

nov

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Most ZVS converters (LLC and phase shifted bridge) are based on transformers, and that would increase cost significantly. I would suggest using a vanilla buck converter based on IGBTs, probably with multiple interleaved phases. That would make modularity quite simple.

If you try to do the AC/DC conversion stage with a simple rectifier, make sure you rate everything for very high max current. You will probably see peak currents in excess of 100A easily. Also you will likely need a precharging circuit to avoid excessive inrush.

nov

Thanks you for your answers.

For now my best guess is the interleaved buck converter. I am planning 3 of 1500W in order to use high efficiency MOSFET TO-247 packaging. And yes I could reduce cost by using IGBTs instead of Mosfet but the frequency will be lower and the inductor size will increase. But it may be a good thing (or necessary) for EMI in this hard switching solution.

That’s why I’m looking for ZVC to achieve soft switching. Does someone have experience with a buck converter with ZVC at this power. I see a lot of university article but I was wandering if it is use in real application.

Thanks

Interleaved bucks it it, the next question: What is your expected switching frequency?

As you correctly mention, the inductor's size will increase proportionally with lower frequency.....which means that you could find yourself at a frequency/power boundary where the low perm of ferrite would make the inductor excessively large, and/or where magnetic steel would be too lossy.

nov

Status
Not open for further replies.