Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tools for frontend VLSI Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suresh R

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I was using Xilinx ISE (webpack) which could be used only for FPGA implementation.

I would like to know about the frontend tools that are available for VLSI design.
Are there any free downloadable tools for frontend VLSI?

no this kind of tool but cadence and synopsys.

Suresh R

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
calm said:
no this kind of tool but cadence and synopsys.

Is there any evaluation version of VLSI frontend tools which is freely downloadable?

See u can go through ALDEC web site
www.aldec.com .... from there u can install Active HDL .... Its Expert Edition is really rocking this days u can get alot of ideas in we site it self

Suresh R

gbaerf said:
See u can go through ALDEC web site
www.aldec.com .... from there u can install Active HDL .... Its Expert Edition is really rocking this days u can get alot of ideas in we site it self
Thank you. i went through it and it was useful.

But i thought of knowing the same for ASIC frontend design.
i.e., is there any evaluation version for ASIC frontend tools which is free to use.

Evaluation version of ASIC frontend tools are generally provided to companies, in anticipation of some purchase from them. I don't think, any of the big players like synopsys,Magma and Cadence provide evaluation version (downloadable version).

Cadence FE Tools:
NC-Verilog and NC-Sim for simulation
BuildGates for synthesis and timing verification
Synopsys FE Tools:
VCS for simulation
Design Compiler for synthesis
PrimeTime for static timing analysis
Xilinx FE Tools: ISE

Hi suresh,

There is one tool from aldec called Riviera Its basically "ASIC verification solution tool" basically made for ASIC type of solutions only....
I have attached the complete feature list and explanation for your reference pls check .....

other then this whatever the tools are mentioned above are the tools and company which is running in the market from long time ...... but I feel this ASIC verification solution " front end" from aldec will be surly useful for you ...

I will try to upload the limited software version set up file as well in software download upload section

with regards,

U can even get the eval version of this even if u request in the web site or if u contact local vendor in your region

gbaerf said:
Hi suresh,

There is one tool from aldec called Riviera Its basically "ASIC verification solution tool" basically made for ASIC type of solutions only....
I have attached the complete feature list and explanation for your reference pls check .....

other then this whatever the tools are mentioned above are the tools and company which is running in the market from long time ...... but I feel this ASIC verification solution " front end" from aldec will be surly useful for you ...

I will try to upload the limited software version set up file as well in software download upload section

with regards,

Thats great. Thanks very much for your efforts.

Iam mainly looking for to migrate from "FPGA frontend" to "VLSI (ASIC) frontend" and hence trying to get familiar with the differences between the former and the later.

Is there a vast difference between the two??

I have used Xilinx ISE tools for Verilog coding.
Will it be of any difference if i need to develop the same verilog code for an ASIC application or can i use the same code in an ASIC frontend tool and do the post processing?

regard's
Suresh.

No there will not be any difference at the coding level. if you want to run the same code....as front end level it does not make much difference...

Suresh R

gbaerf said:
No there will not be any difference at the coding level. if you want to run the same code....as front end level it does not make much difference...

Thank you. your replies were of much use to me.

Suresh R said:
Hi,
I was using Xilinx ISE (webpack) which could be used only for FPGA implementation.

I would like to know about the frontend tools that are available for VLSI design.
Are there any free downloadable tools for frontend VLSI?

I am not sure why nobody suggested the freely available tools for ASIC Design. There are several good tools that are available for free.

Magic VLSI (*nix)
Electric VLSI (java based so all platforms)
Alliance CAD (*nix)
LASI (Windows)
Microwind (Windows)
Icarus(verilog simulator)

Give all of them a try but I would personally recommend Electric VLSI or Magic VLSI a they are more or less complete netlist-to-GDS tool suites. Alliance CAD has also got extensive set of tools. Search for my other posts regarding a brief comparision of the above tools. Good luck.

Thanks for those valuble information. I would checkout with each of which i have got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back